so, i dont own this phrase (sarah ahmed popularized it), im not the first to put it on a t-shirt (this is the first one i remember seeing), and im not even the first to use a drippy garbage pail font (mikki made a tote a while back!).
but i do feel a tiny sense of … something. not quite ownership, but something close. when you google “feminist killjoy”, the first result is the t-shirt benefit we did for planned parenthood last february/march. when you google “feminist killjoy”, the suggested options are “shirt” and “banner”, the banner also being something i did. i put a lot of work into these shirts — packing them, sending them, promoting them, talking about them, etc. there are 1500+ notes on this singular image that was my project, you know?
we sold out, and when people asked what they could do, i told them how to make their own, or where to by a one-off custom t-shirt, and suggested donating $15 to planned parenthood so they still benefited from it. i didnt make a single dollar off of these shirts, so i dont feel bad when someone takes one and makes their own.
so, when someone makes a feminist killjoy thing that does -not- benefit a charity, that is for-profit, it rubs me the wrong way. $2 patches on etsy? whatever. but $28 necklaces? come on.
its just a bummer because that image is associated with doing GOOD in the world, and this is just some girl making money off of it.
UPDATE: i conversed with the seller, and this is now added to the listing:
This design was inspired by the fantastic ALITHEA (http://alithea.tumblr.com/) and in keeping with the original spirit of her work, proceeds will go to Planned Parenthood and the Eastern Mass Abortion Fund. Fuck the war on women.
so! all is well! also … no promises, but i might start selling these again.
THis is awesome! Maybe I will make some more totes! Can we sell them all in the same place or something?
- jeangable likes this
- revolucion-en-la-cama likes this
- kissthiskissthatyeah likes this
- brandybarber likes this
- shankyourjory likes this
- westerlies likes this
- divorcingticks reblogged this from shakethecobwebs and added:
- laff-riot likes this
- veronicaeye likes this
- donotcallmeashley likes this
- fantasticbyaccident likes this
- motherfuckingfeminist reblogged this from shakethecobwebs
- esohex likes this
- babyfacessmokingstoges likes this
- mynameisjessamyn likes this
- shakethecobwebs reblogged this from alithea and added:
- bedbugsbiting likes this
- mikkipedia reblogged this from alithea and added:
- alithea reblogged this from gegegegege and added:
- trashysnacks likes this
- kaeleeb likes this
- ulliecoco likes this
- gegegegege reblogged this from alithea
- gegegegege likes this
- mikkipedia likes this
- sluteverbabe likes this
- peacehon reblogged this from valgrrrl
- earlgreymacaron likes this
- amasianmom likes this
- noirbelleesprit reblogged this from moderngirlblitz
- elphias-doge likes this
- yasmeen reblogged this from alithea
- thecadaver reblogged this from kateordie and added:
- bijoux-arisu likes this
- rayvenloaf likes this
- frances-lee likes this
- thrashrandicoot reblogged this from wolf-rain and added:
- wolf-rain reblogged this from yesysabella
- how-woozy-my-heart likes this
- alyssabethancourt likes this
- ourrightsarehuman likes this
- jennirussell likes this
- blowinmahnose likes this
- foulmouthedliberty reblogged this from stfuconservatives and added:
- kuuderefreud reblogged this from alithea
- katander reblogged this from aestian
- inkandstring reblogged this from lipsredasroses
- ravenhallow likes this
- killyoursons likes this