We are so excited to be featured alongside a bunch of other amazing organizations in this week’s Time Out NY! Read the feature!
Worth mentioning that blonde girl who looks like Robyn is our very own Sophie.
So your “very own Sophie” thinks that appropriating the black power fist for white lady causes is a fine thing to do? Good to know.
Maybe I’m bias because I intern in the same office where Sophie works, but as far as I know the fist doesn’t belong exclusively to the black power movement - in fact that particular image has been around a while, and appears about 11 or 12 times on the first page of the google search for “feminist symbol.” And yes, mainstream feminism is far from intersectional, but Permanent Wave seems fairly open to issues that lie beyond the straight-white-cis perspective.
Personally, I associate the fist more with solidarity than with any particular movement. Of course I’m by no means an expert and again, I’m probably bias, so what does everyone else think?
well, seeing as how the fist as a symbol associated SPECIFICALLY with the Black Power Movement PRECEDED the feminist movement by a significant amount of time, yes. you are wrong. very.
Fist symbol for solidarity predates Black Power Movement—was used by labor unions and such. The black fist is specifically associated with the Black Power Movement, though. The glyph of a fist inside the “woman” symbol is usually red and didn’t start being used by white feminists until 1969 or 70—well after the BPM and probably very much appropriating the BPM use of the symbol.
- stctechnologies reblogged this from likeapairofbottlerockets
- songswithoutwords likes this
- heidicomestolife reblogged this from judyxberman
- mootpoint likes this
- likeapairofbottlerockets likes this
- thirstinmore reblogged this from thepermanentwave and added:
- meetcici likes this
- racismschool likes this
- alithea likes this
- theaudacityofswope likes this
- mikkipedia reblogged this from so-treu and added:
- jesuisuneetoile likes this
- johnwillflow likes this
- native-detroiter likes this
- amstibovvered said: i’m also intrigued.
- amstibovvered likes this
- bilgerat reblogged this from so-treu and added:
- alltheweirdkidsupfront likes this
- mothsinamoshpit reblogged this from likeapairofbottlerockets and added:
- frank-e-fighting-words reblogged this from biyuti and added:
- macs-guide-to-the-galaxy likes this
- cabradine likes this
- fluterr likes this
- jerriann likes this
- yohuna likes this
- stormyseasandloyalty reblogged this from whatsyerdamageheather
- rawkblog likes this
- judyxberman reblogged this from likeapairofbottlerockets and added:
- judyxberman likes this
- likeapairofbottlerockets reblogged this from proudlybigotedmisandrist and added:
- memoriescarvedlikeatattoo likes this
- kidpretentious likes this
- cerealbanter likes this
- ilivesweat likes this
- mordecailearnstofly likes this
- proudlybigotedmisandrist reblogged this from flavorpill and added:
- kidintheattic likes this
- bmichael likes this
- ladybangbeat likes this
- imshataytay likes this
- wojcikmusic likes this
- plittly reblogged this from thepermanentwave and added:
- sarahsunderman likes this
- ineffableshe likes this
- heartbarf reblogged this from thepermanentwave and added:
- thepermanentwave posted this